It can be very tempting to go abroad for plastic surgery. The procedures are often far cheaper than in Switzerland. It’s no wonder then that professional agents offering complete packages under very favourable conditions are flourishing. However, every procedure has its risks. Therefore make sure you are fully informed before you decide to undergo a procedure abroad.
Aesthetic procedures abroad: the basics
- Choosing a practice: Make sure the doctor meets the same quality criteria as required in Switzerland.
- Complications and after-care: It goes without saying that there are excellent surgeons practising abroad. However, you also need to think about the recovery phase and after-care. Who will look after you if you have questions or concerns, or in the event of unexpected developments?
- Revision procedures: With every surgical procedure, there is the risk that a corrective revision procedure will be necessary. Think about where you would have this done.
Trust is key. Every procedure generally comes with risks. The decision to undergo an aesthetic procedure must be taken carefully and diligently, and ultimately it is a question of trust. Even more important is finding a practice you feel completely comfortable with and not settling for anything less (see. "How to find the right surgeon").
Important questions to ask before going abroad for treatment
- Where can I go for follow-up checks?
- What can I do if there are complications?
- During the recovery phase, who will assure me that everything is okay?
- What happens if I’m not happy with the result?
- Who will pay in this case?
- Who is liable?