Before any procedure, you have to find the right surgeon. The right doctor for the specific case will depend on many different factors and there are no hard and fast rules. However, there are a few guidelines to follow when deciding.
Before any plastic surgery procedure: Make sure any questions are answered
A specialist in plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery is generally trained in all areas of the field.
If you are unsure about the surgeon’s specific skills and experience in the desired procedure, talk to them about it directly. Ask specifically about their experience and how many of these procedures they have already performed.
If in doubt, we recommend seeking a second opinion from another specialist. After all, Plastic Surgery is a matter of trust.
- Check that they are actually a specialist in plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery. The titles “Cosmetic surgeon” and “Aesthetic Surgeon” alone are not enough to protect you.
- The information for patients must be clear and comprehensible.
- The specialist must inform you of the risks, complications, discomfort and consequences of the planned procedure.
- The specialist must give you a written quote of the costs, with the conditions set out in detail.
- You are entitled to ask for thinking time and/or to seek a second opinion before the planned procedure. Avoid doctors who push you to make an immediate decision.
- Before the procedure, the specialist must give you an information sheet and informed consent form to read and sign.
- If in doubt, always seek a second opinion from a second specialist.
- Make sure all your questions have been answered immediately before the procedure.